What is the next step i should take in regards to closing on a short sale..?

UPDATED: May 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the next step i should take in regards to closing on a short sale..?

My family attempted to purchase a short sale home that was a fixer upper. Our realtor kept contact with our mortgage company and told us if we wanted the house to pass inspection we would have to put some work into cleaning/fixing it up. We’ve not invested time and money (6 months) into this home and our realtor now says that he and the realtor he was working with have given up on the sale and that the home is now going to go into foreclosure.

Asked on May 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Vermont


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Hmm. Well, either you need to sue to get your money back or if you truly want the house, you need to do a couple of things:

1. File a consumer complaint against the mortgage company and the two realtors: for the mortgage company, it would be the Vermont Dept of Banking, Insurance, Securites (http://www.bishca.state.vt.us/).  For the realtors, it would be Vermont Real Estate Commission.

2. Think about consulting with a real estate attorney in your state (try www.attorneypages). 

3. Try contacting your governor's office or local councilperson or alderman's office or state congressman or senator.  Sometimes this will be a sufficient push.  Explain that what the realtors did (especially the one representing you) violates all sorts of ethics violations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption