What is the most I can sue for?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the most I can sue for?

Hi my name is Mariah I am suing a
photographer for not sending my pics but
taking my money, he owes me the 180 I paid.
He did not send my pics I want to add money
for gas and tolls. Can you give me advice on
what else I can sue him for because he
messed my birthday up by not sending my
birthday shoots

Asked on November 9, 2016 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actually, all you can sue him for is for the return of the money you paid him for services which he did not render, and also gas and tolls IF you can prove that you paid those only because of his failure to render services (e.g. his breach of the agremeent, or contract, whether a written or unwritten/oral one, to provide services). There is no compensation in the law in cases like this for noneconomic losses, such as "messing up" your birthday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption