What is the maximum punishment for marijuana possession

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the maximum punishment for marijuana possession

I was given a notice to appear in court instead of being taken down to jail that same day on the condition that I would be a Confidential Informant, I’m having second thoughts now and am thinking of just taking the charges, how bad can they get if my record previous to the arrest was spotless?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You didn't state the amount of marijuana that you had in your possession. 

Possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana is a First Degree Misdemeanor;  which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine.  

Ref: Florida Criminal Statute - §893.13(6)(b)

Possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana is a Third Degree Felony; has a maximum penalty of 5 years in jail and a $5000 fine. 

Ref: Florida Criminal Statute - §893.13(6)(a)

The fact that this is your first offense will weigh heavily in your favor with regards to sentencing.  You need to speak with a criminal attorney ASAP.  If money is an issues contact the public defender's office or legal aid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption