What is the maximum amount of time that a media visa holder may legally take to switch to a new sponsor?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the maximum amount of time that a media visa holder may legally take to switch to a new sponsor?

I am a media visa holder but I need to know what the law says about the maximum amount of time that I have to change to a new employer. My guess is 3 months but I’m not sure.

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Immigration Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In looking at the law I do not see anywhere that there is this "3 month rule" that you state.  A media visa holder holds a visa for a set amount of time for the purposes stated in the applicatuon.  You can, as I undertsand it, take a vacation here in the US while holding the visa.  But if the reasosn that you applied for the visa no longer exist - you are no longer reporting for the company - then you may indeed have a problem.  I would speak with an immigration attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption