What is the law when it comes to bigamy?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law when it comes to bigamy?

I was married and went through a divorce, however, I’ve just learned that there was never a final decree entered on the divorce. My husband re-married. Is his marriage legal, are there ramifications for this. Can I sue him in civil court and maybe get income that he hid from me throughout the property settlement. We had many businesses and we did very well financially, however the hid all of our assets and I received nothing after a 17 year marriage.

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Family Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your husband was not aware of the fact that your divorce was not final at the time of his re-marriage, then the authorites will not pursue bigamy charges. That having been said, his second "marriage" is null and void in the eyes of the law. In other words, it is as if it never took place. As for any fraud regarding your property settlement, at this point you really should consult directly with a local divorce attorney, After hearing all of the details of your situation, they will be in the best position to advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption