What is the employer’s responsibility with inaccurate pay checks?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the employer’s responsibility with inaccurate pay checks?

The company I work for neglected to pay me
for hours worked. It took them one month to
correctly pay me after the miscalculation, and
this is not the first time this has happened. In
fact, numerous coworkers have had the same
issue. I work for a very large company, and am
wondering what their legal obligations are for

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Their legal obligation is to pay you correctly, on time, for all hours worked. If they fail to do so, they must make up the shortfall; if they fail to make up the shortfall, you could file a complaint with the state department of labor and/or sue them for the money (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption