What is the easiest way to collect a settlement from my ex-husband?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the easiest way to collect a settlement from my ex-husband?

My ex was ordered to pay a settlement in 90 days of the divorce. He has asked that I be patient while he gets his finances in order. I have been patient for 2 years and he still has not paid. He has paid off our house and is trying to get a home equity loan to pay me. He will not answer calls from me about the status of the loan or my payment. I can’t afford to take him back to court. have taken out a loan to pay my expenses and I now need to pay it back. What is the best way to proceed?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you need the money from the settlement with your "ex" and cannot afford to pay a lawyer to assist you in getting it, the best way to move forward is to go down to your local legal aid program to see what can be done with respect to possible levies on the "ex's" bank accounts or possible garnishment of wages.

There are forms that will need to be filed with the court concerning such and they will need to be served upon the banks where he has money, his employer and himself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption