What is the cost to remove someone from a Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the cost to remove someone from a Will?

My brother and I are having and issue with my father’s Will.It includes a sister that was not raised with my brother and I. It was recently discovered that the sister is a half sister with no blood link to my father, though her maiden name is the same as my father. What would the cost we be remove her from my father’s Will? He is still living and we are trying to convince him to do it. He seems to want to leave well enough alone because he doesn’t want to pay a large amount to have her removed but my brother and I feel quite differently. We would like to protect what belongs to us even if it is nothing in the end. We both feel as though she should not have a say or have third of anything.

Asked on September 26, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't have to cost anything, if you don't hire a lawyer to do it: a person can him/herself write a new will, replacing the earlier one; or draft a "codicil" or amendment to the will which changes some previsions (e.g. gives the share that would have gone to a person to someone else). So long as the new will or the codicil/amendment is properly signed and witnessed according to your state's laws for executing a will, it is valid despite not using a lawyer.
It would be a good idea to notarize the will, too--this makes it faster and easier to probate. So you might incur the cost of a notary, but that is small.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption