What is the copyright registration process?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Registration with the Copyright Office includes the filing of a copyright claim application, payment of the registration fee, and deposit of at least 2 copies of the work. Accelerated registrations are available for a fee that is substantially higher than that charged for routine registrations.

There are several different copyright forms available and you must use the form corresponding to the type of work for which protection is being sought:  

  • The TX form is meant for literary works. Literary works are defined as any non-theatrical written works. Examples of literary works include books, magazine articles, newspaper articles, blog entries, and written advertisements. Works can be published either onto paper or online. 
  • The VA form is meant for visual arts. Visual arts or fine arts are non-literary artworks. Examples of visual arts include sculptures, posters, paintings, photographs, statues, and movies. For visual arts, a picture of the work is sufficient for protection. 
  • The PA form is meant for performing arts. Performing arts include dance, plays, and musicals. A script or performance guide must be submitted to the copyright office for this type of registration. 
  • The SR form is meant for sound recordings. This includes all forms of music and vocal recordings. A copy of the sound recording must be submitted with the form. 
  • The SE form is meant for programming languages and mathematical text. This includes computer programs, hardware design, interface coding, and any other numerical sequences. A copy of the program must be submitted for copyright registration and it is not given the same level of protection as other forms of copyright due to the repetitiveness of programming languages. 

Most copyright forms can be submitted either electronically or by mail, but some are required to be submitted only by mail. Mail-only submissions include any group contribution works, daily newspapers or newsletters, databases, or groups of photographs. Additionally, computer chip mask works and any pre-release works must also be submitted with a paper form instead of electronically. If you are submitting a mail-only form, make sure that you print the form on both sides of the paper and print the pages to a one to one ratio, as per the copyright department’s website. If you are confused by the copyright office forms or are unsure which form your work falls under, contact a copyright attorney for assistance. 


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption