What is the charge or criminal action of misusing someone else’s credit card and how much time could it carry?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the charge or criminal action of misusing someone else’s credit card and how much time could it carry?

I had permission to use the credit card but over spent by a few thousand please tell me what I’m looking at for time.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The criminal charge of misusing someone's credit card is essentially a misdemeanor charge based upon fraud. Meaning, the unauthorized use of the credit card.

Given the chances of a heavy fine, jail, required courses and a criminal record, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you under the given situation.

If this is your first brush with the law, you most likely will receive no jail time but will be placed on probation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption