What is the best way to pursue unpaid spousal support in Colorado?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to pursue unpaid spousal support in Colorado?

My ex-husband has defaulted for the second time on his court-ordered support. I have not contacted him about this second default though we did go to court over the first one, due to the fact that our divorce was caused by his arrest on domestic violence charges against me. What is the best way to pursue getting the support I am due? I no longer have an attorney, as I had to pay over 20,000 in legal fees for my divorce.

Asked on August 18, 2016 under Family Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex-husband.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause (court form) for a hearing (call the court clerk to schedule the hearing) and a declaration signed under penalty of perjury with the supporting facts that your ex has not paid spousal support in violation of court order.  You should also include any other supporting documents as evidence.  Attach a proof of service which verifies the date of mailing a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex or his attorney if he has an attorney.  Mailing a copy of the documents you filed with the court for the contempt of court hearing to your ex or his attorney provides your ex with notice of the hearing.
Check with the court clerk before filing your documents with the court to be certain you have filed all the required documents for the contempt of court hearing because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption