What is the best route to resolving my potential case from the current standpoint I’m in at the moment with my limited financial resources

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best route to resolving my potential case from the current standpoint I’m in at the moment with my limited financial resources

I am 24, a student, I opened a credit card under my mother (WAMU $6000) and brother’s name ((WAMU $500), and a student loan making my unaware mother as a co-signer(salllie mae $3,000); parents and forced brother(he did not want to) went authorities and filed affidavits claiming fraud; a detective is trying to speak to me; i want to resolve issue. Made one payment on mothers card, can pay off younger brothers card, don’t know how truthful to speak with detective, am now seeing therapist, I want to pay back(as much as I can), but now its legally escalating. Whats the best way for me to proceed?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  Will your parents agree to not press charges if you pay them back?  Is there a way to sit down with them and get on a payment plan to make them whole?  Are they trying to teach you a lesson?  If your parents are not forgiving here, then you need to hire a lawyer.  If the state is filing charges against you, you want to have a lawyer involved to help you here.  If you cannot afford one, i suggest you apply for a public defender to assist you in resolving the criminal matter.  The state is going to want to know you are making payments to make your parents whole at the very least.  Do not speak to the ivestigator without a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption