What is the actual legal age of giving consent to have sex?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the actual legal age of giving consent to have sex?

My ex-girlfriend is trying to throw me in jail for having sex with her. Actually I don’t think it’s her; I’m pretty sure it’s her parents. She was 15 but she turned 16 about 3 weeks ago. What do I do? can they really throw me in jail? If they can, for how long?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Technically, the legal age for a minor to be deemed to have consensual sex based upon age alone is eighteen (18) years. Many states have statutes where minors who have sex with a person over the age of eighteen (18) years of age are deemed to have committed statutory rape.

The parents of your girlfriend can press law enforcement or the district attorney's office to investigate the situation to possibly file charges against you since the parents of a minor child are responsible for his or her welfare.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption