What is required to get an 11-year old misdemeanor charge expunged? Can I do it myself?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is required to get an 11-year old misdemeanor charge expunged? Can I do it myself?

The charge was for receiving stolen property. It was settled as a misdemeanor 11 years ago. Do I need to hire an attorney to clear this or can it be done some other way? Thanks.

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In your state, you can expunge a misdemeanor if you never served time in a state prison for it (e.g. no imprisonment, only probation and/or fines, and/or if you were imprisoned, it was in county jail, not state prison), you completed whatever sentence you had at least 2 years agok, and you are neither currently charged with nor serving time for any criminal offense, so your offense may well qualify (depending on how you were punished for it).
The law and procedure can be somewhat complex; you are better off retaining an attorney to help. But you are allowed to seek to expunge (there are actually several different options which together can be thought of as "expungement") your record yourself. Here is a link to a CA court website you may find helpful: https://www.courts.ca.gov/1070.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption