What is a husband’s legal rights to a house awarded to his ex-wife if she is not making timely payments?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a husband’s legal rights to a house awarded to his ex-wife if she is not making timely payments?

My husband gave his ex-wife the house in their divorce. She was court ordered to keep the payments current and take his name off the house, neither of which she has done. We are now trying to get a house but can’t because she has been late each month since he moved out 2 years ago. She now owes $10,000 more than what the house appraises for. The house went into foreclosure 9 months ago, which she somehow got it out of. She is currently over $2400 behind again. Do we have any legal right to evict her and do a short sale on the house?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

His legal rights are determined by the divorce judgment.  You may want to take the judgment to a lawyer to give you particular information.  As a general rule, your husband should file a contempt against his ex-wife to address her failure to obey the court orders.  I doubt that the you have the right to evict her.  A judge has the power to rule on the necessity of a short sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption