What is my responsibility on my VA loan when ex-wife lives on the property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my responsibility on my VA loan when ex-wife lives on the property?

She received the house in our divorce but she hasn’t made a payment in 5

years. She has appealed the foreclosure to the state supreme court on grounds of discrimination. The loan was in both our names but was guaranteed by the VA

because I’m a disabled vet.

Asked on March 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are on the loan, you are responsible for it. She is responsible, too, if she is also on the loan--*everyone* who signed a loan is responsible for it, and the lender may go after either or both of you. The loan is a contract between you (the two of you) and the lender: the lender's rights under the contract and your obligations under it are *not* affected by your divorce or its outcome. The lender was not part of your marriage or your divorce case what happened in your marriage or divorce is irrelevant to your loan obligations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption