What is my recourse regarding the forced sale of real estate?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse regarding the forced sale of real estate?

I had a summary judgement against that resulted in the forced sale of my late mother’s property, on which I have resided for the past 17 years. I chose a referee and 6 months after the judgement she finally contacted me. Well, yesterday she informed me that it had sold and that I have 10 days in which to vacate. However, she gave no details on how much it sold for or when I would get my share. Is this a reasonable request? I don’t have the money to move. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you are in a difficult situation with respect to the property that you have written about. If you do not have the money to move from the place you reside in where there was a forced sale, I suggest that you contact your local legal aid office to speak with an attorney to assist you concerning your options.

For starts, I would call and write the referee for information as to what the home's selling price was and what amount if any you would receive from the sale and when.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption