What is my protection as Homeowner of Rental property?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my protection as Homeowner of Rental property?

Previous Tenants left money in account for last utilites bills etc. Does the property Mgr have the right to hold on until they see fit? New Tenant now in rental home – pro-rated rent received by property mgr but not forwarded to owner the monies for either last tenants utilites or new tenants’ pro-rated rent. What is my recourse on these actions.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No the property manager needs to refund those monies (known as a security deposit) minus monies made toward cleaning and repairs (all of these charges must be itemized and reasonable and supported with legitimate receipts). 

So the owner needs to sue the manager -- it appears the manager is playing hide and go seek with the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption