What is my next step? Information not matching FR-10 form given by officer

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my next step? Information not matching FR-10 form given by officer

I was involved in an accident a few days ago. When I noticed the insurance company on the FR-10 form for the other party of the accident, I found out that the owner of that vehicle hasn’t had insurance with that company since last year. The VIN of the other party’s vehicle is hard to read on the FR-10 so I spoke with someone from the City Hall. She responded by telling me that when she ran the vin number for the car the same insurance company information on the FR-10 form is wat came up in their system. I emailed someone from the DMV and provided her with the vin number on the FR-10 form. She responded letting me know that if that is the VIN of the car the other party was driving then the owner listed on the FR-10 isn’t really the owner of the vehicle and that car hasn’t been registered. When I did a little research on the vehicle’s VIN myself the owner of that vehicle isn’t the same owner wrote on the FR-10 and the car’s year, model and make were different then what was wrote on the FR-10 form as well. The other party’s vehicle did have a dealer’s license plate on the back and she was at fault for the accident. I’m quite sure if the other party’s vehicle wasn’t registered or didn’t have insurance then the officer wouldn’t have let her continue to drive the car on the road. I do go on Monday back to City Hall to get a better copy of the FR-10 form. At this point I am beyond confused, frustrated and irritated. What would be my next step?

Asked on August 10, 2019 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

We presume that you are seeking compensation. In that case, sue the person driving and the person who has been identified as the owner, assuming that you believe that the driver was at fault in causing the accident (an at-fault driver, and/or the person letting him/her drive the car) is liable for all damage done by him/her). Let those persons attempt to show that someone else is liable, if they can. You will not get compensation from any insurance company (other than your own, if you have the proper [e.g. collission] insurance) until you can identify the proper/legal owner and if that owner in fact had insurance; therefore, based on what you write, a lawsuit appears to be your only route to compensation. In the suit, there are tools ("discovery") to get more information, and, as stated, the persons you sue may provide the identity of the responsible parties (if known to them) in order to avoid their own liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption