What is my next step if a payment was ordered by a judge to bemade by a certain date, butremains unpaid?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my next step if a payment was ordered by a judge to bemade by a certain date, butremains unpaid?

My ex-husband was ordered through our divorce decree to pay for his health insurance that I have been paying, plus his portion of the legal fees. He was to pay this by today. What can I do? Doesn’t this make him in contempt of court?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Anything ordered by the divorce court and placed in writing in an order must be adhered to or otherwise the party failing to do what is required under the order would indeed place the party in contempt of the order. So, if your husband is now technically in default of the order and therefore in contempt of the order, you need to bring this matter to court to make a ruling he is in contempt and see if the court can now order his wages garnished, his bank accounts frozen and/or liens placed on his property so that you get the money needed or now due to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption