What is my next step?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my next step?

The house I live in is under my great grandmother’s Trust. She past away 10 years ago and it was then passed down to my mother. My mother then passed away 3 years ago. Now my sister and I are living in it. She filed for probate by herself and I am now going in court in a couple days. I don’t want to sell the house or have her as administrator of the property.

Asked on April 8, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If the house was part of a Trust it doesn't go through probate, unless what you are saying is that the Trust ended with your Mom and she did not have a Trust or Will?  Is that correct?  You can apply to be the co-administrator.  If you want the house you can buy her out of her half at the date of death value of your Mom's passing.    If you don't agree then she can bring a partition action to "spilt" the jointly owned property in half, which with a house means it gets ordered sold and the proceeds split.  I would speak to a lawyer asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption