What is my liability on an inherited home if no payments have been made in years?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my liability on an inherited home if no payments have been made in years?

I am being sued by a bank for non-payment on my parent’s home. I have never been on the note and it was quick deeded to my brother 5 years ago. My parents are both deceased and my brother has passed away as well. I have been listed as an heir to him but have never been on the note. Should I be worried? I answered with I have no vested interest in the home. His girlfriend is still living in the home there.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have no interest in the house, you are not liable.  However, do not ignore the court proceedings or you will lose by default.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption