What is my legal recourse if my employer is refusing to pay for an accident that I had with a company vehicle while on the job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my legal recourse if my employer is refusing to pay for an accident that I had with a company vehicle while on the job?

May 10th 2015 I had an accident in Rockaway New Jersey Route 80 West I hit someone from behind damage that trunk but we both drove away unharmed. My boss was supposed to file a claim but never did. The paperwork I had in the vehicle said that the vehicle was insured, however the insurance company just informed me that his policy at that time was lapsed. Now a year later I have a company called AFNI who is handling the claim for Progressive Insurance telling me I am personally liable for $5,400. I am really at a loss here and need professional guidance.

Asked on December 23, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They don't have to pay for an accident where an employee was at fault while driving a company vehicle: the at-fault driver can be held liable for the full cost of the damage he or she causes to other vehicles. If you hit someone from behind, you were almost certainly legally at fault: the law presumes that the rear driver, in an accident like this, is at fault, because he or she was responsible to maintain a safe following distance and speed, to pay attention to the car ahead, and stop in time. When you were at fault in causing an accident, you cannot force others, including your employer, to pay the damages or costs for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption