What is my best course of action against my employer for deducting wage garnishment but not paying the money to my creditor?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my best course of action against my employer for deducting wage garnishment but not paying the money to my creditor?

I have a wage garnishment for a defaulted student loan. Employer has been deducting from my check but I recently found out that she has not paid the money to my creditor. My nursing license is due for renewal and has a hold on it for lack of payments and I will be unable to work as a nurse after because of this issue. The creditor states if they had received the money to date that there would be no hold on my license.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  These are such tough times and trying to dig your way out of the hole can be hard enough with out your employer helping to throw dirt on you.  You need to file a complaint with the Department of Labor and with the hospital - Human Resouces department possibly? - as to what is going on.  You need to advise that they are not only committing a crime by taking the money and not turing it over to the creditor, but causing you  to lose gainful employment by blocking the renewal on your license.  They are stealing from you here and defrauding the creditor.  If it persists then you need to seek help from an attorney.  Please make sure that you have your pay stubs showing that they took the money out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption