What is a waiver of citation renunciation and consent to appoint administrator form?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a waiver of citation renunciation and consent to appoint administrator form?

I received a letter from a lawyer out of state stating that the surviving spouse of my recently departed father wishes for me to sign a Waiver of Citation, Renunciation and Consent to Appointment of Administrator. By signing this form what does that mean in way of any potential inheritance I may be entitled to. I have been estranged from my father for many years.

Asked on August 12, 2011 Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Essentially you would be waiving your rights to notice of the letters and notices involved in the administration of this estate. If you feel you would be waiving your rights under any wills your father had, or waiving your right to get what should be lawfully yours as his surviving son, then you should not sign this form. Further, consider whether you wish to contest his surviving spouse being named the administrator of the estate. You may wish to contact an attorney in the state in which your father passed and probate was opened to protect your potential inheritances or rights if you feel your father's estate was substantial. Never waive your right to notice of such matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption