What is a relocation hearing?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a relocation hearing?

What evidence is admissable at these hearings? Will relatives be notified of these hearings so they can attend? My questions pertains to a sibling who is currently housed at the metropolitan jail in Louisville, KY.

Asked on July 28, 2011 Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The relocation hearing that you are referring about may be a hearing to "extradite" your sibling who is jailed in one state to another for crimes charged against him or her in another state. The state that has criminal charges pending against your sibling that wants to "extradite" him or her does not have custody of the sibling.

In essence, the other state wants the state that has your sibling jailed to transfer the sibling over to law enforcement so that criminal proceedings can proceed elsewhere.

Your sibling can fight the extradiction petition or agree to it. Hopefully yor sibling has good criminal defense assisting him or her in that the charges seem serious for an extradition proceeding.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption