What is a reasonable amount to settle with an insurance company for pain and suffering for an accident the other party was cited as responsible for?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a reasonable amount to settle with an insurance company for pain and suffering for an accident the other party was cited as responsible for?

A friend and I were in an accident, in which his car was T-boned by another vehicle who ran a stop sign.I went to the ER for severe pain about 15 hours later and sustained whiplash and a contusion on my head and knee. I want to know what would be a reasonable amount to settle for with the insurance company without involving an attorney? What if I did go to see a personal injury attorney? I’m in Tucson, AZ.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Personal Injury, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

DEFINITELY you should consult with a personal injury attorney: not only is PI attorney whom you consult with in detail in the best position to determine a reasonable settlement or award (there is no general answer; the appropriate amount depends on each case's unique facts), but the lawyer will greatly increase your chance of recovering as much money as possible.

That said, here are some principals:

1) You can recover any and all unreimbursed medical costs--so anything that you've paid out of pocket. If you expect future costs, you should recover for them, too.

2) If you missed work or lost wages, you can recover that amount--and again, that includes forward looking lost wages, if you won't be able to work for some time.

3) If you have experienced relatively long lasting (a few weeks or longer) significant pain or disabilty, or impairment of the ability to do the normal routines and functions of life, you may be able to recover for

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption