What is a reasonable amount to request for an auto accident claim above and beyond medical bills?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a reasonable amount to request for an auto accident claim above and beyond medical bills?

Insurance company representing client who caused auto accident for which other party has taken full responsibility for, completed review of documentation of bodily injury claim and are offering a settlement of $3,313. This amount is a little over $1,000 of what the actual medical bills were for the issues caused by this accident. This is my first accident and I have no previous experience in dealing with auto insurance. Is it common to request s higher amount for this type of settlement and what would be reasonable for “pain and suffering” in an auto accident situation? Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? I’m in Placer, CA.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There isn't any mathematical formula for determining compensation for pain and suffering.  It depends on the medical report which documents the nature and extent of your injury. If you are still having pain or other problems after completing your medical treatment, you would receive more compensation than someone who had fully recovered from the injury.  Also, if future treatment is anticipated, that should also be a factor in compensation for pain and suffering. I would normally ask for quadruple the medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering, but NOT expecting to get that.  This would be a starting point in negotiations with the insurance company.  The insurance company will respond with a lower offer and you can continue negotiations to try to obtain a larger amount.  What you are presently being offered by the insurance company is a little low to compensate for pain and suffering.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, you can reject the settlement offer and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault driver.  If the case is settled with the insurance company, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled with the insurance company, you will need to file your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault driver/registered ownerof the vehicle prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.  IN CA, there is a two year statute of limitations in personal injury cases which means the lawsuit must be filed prior to the two year anniversary of the date of the accident.  It would be advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption