What is a parent’s responsibility if their paying car insurance for an adult child?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a parent’s responsibility if their paying car insurance for an adult child?

I am paying liability car insurance for my 22 year old son’s vehicle. If he is the cause of a
wreck and insurance coverage for the victim is not enough and they sue am I responsible for
any additional cost that the insurance does not cover? Or is my son, as the driver of the
vehicle? Or does my homeowners insurance help to cover additional expenses?

Asked on August 15, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he is driving a car you own, you are liable if he is at fault for an accident (a vehicle owner, as well as the driver, can be liable). Putting him on your policy can also potentially make you liable. But if you are simply providing him the money to pay his premiums on his own car, then you are not liable for the accidents of your adult child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption