What if my sister is POA for my Mother and now moneyhas been misapproiated?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if my sister is POA for my Mother and now moneyhas been misapproiated?

When my mom was of sound mind, she made my sister power of attorney in her Will when she could not handle her affairs any more. My sister started handling her money and I have noticed that her investments reflect discrepancies of about 15-20K. What are my options on how to handle this? My sister and I are her only children. I do not have any money.

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Estate Planning, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you see an issue of an apaprent discrepancy in your mother's investments of $15,000 to $20,000 where your sister is acting under your mother's power of attorney as her attorney in fact and you suspect that your sister has misappropriated money belonging to your mother, you need to sit down with your sister and hash out your suspicions between you two.

Perhaps there is an explanation for the discrepancy and perhaps there is not. Depending upon the answer and your suspicions you might need to consult with groups that protect the rights of the elderly such as the Council on Aging about the situation involving your mother since you apparently cannot afford a lawyer.

Or, you might be forced to contact law enforcement and have a police report filed to be sent to your county's district attorney's office for a possible criminal action to be filed against your sister.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption