What if the executor says there is nothing in my parents’ Wills?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if the executor says there is nothing in my parents’ Wills?

My mother passed away and she was in an assisted living. My sister is the executor and says there is nothing left in both my parents’ Wills. Do I still have a right to see their financial records, since I was named Wills? Also, my mother’s Social Security checks went into a joint checking account with my Sister, whom I feel took advantage of my mother’s monies and what she said we would get. Additionally, my sister is selling and giving away a lot of our mother’s


Asked on July 2, 2018 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As someone who would (based on what you write) inherit under the will, you have legal "standing" (a legal right) to bring a lawsuit against the estate and executor (your sister). This kind of lawsuit, commonly called one for an "accounting," is essentially one in which you ask the executor to "account for"--that is, justify--her actions as executor and provide documentation of what assets, money, etc. were in the estate and what happened with/to them. If you can show that your sister is doing any or all of 1) not following the terms of the will,  2) engaging in "self dealing" or benefiting herself at the expense of the beneficiaries in the will, and/or 3) being unreasonably careless (negligent) in how she is handling the estate, a court can potentially force her to pay money to the estate (e.g. repay funds she took but should not have), undo certain transaction (if possible), and/or replace her as executor. If you wish to explore this option, consult with a probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption