What if the car dealership refuses to report my payments to the credit bureaus?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if the car dealership refuses to report my payments to the credit bureaus?

Purchased a car 6 months ago. The company is a large buy here pay here company, however their websites, as well as all of their ads state that they help rebuild or establish your credit. I have been on time with every payment, even paying more than my required minimum payment, however not a single payment, or even the loan shows on any of my credit reports. If they state that they help rebuild or establish your credit, wouldn’t they be required to report my payments to at least one of the credit bureaus or must it state this somewhere word for word in my actual contract?

Asked on November 18, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you have is a loophole. The company may not be required to report the loan but you can certainly report it yourself via a dispute on why it is not showing up. You can do this dispute with the three top agencies. Bottom line, if you feel you were duped into getting a car from this place because this place would re-establish your credit and you relied to your detriment on this fact, then a) you need to report it to the credit reporting agency or agencies who regulate this entity. This can be your state's financial institutions department, to the local prosecutor to the state attorney general and do not forget the federal trade commission for fair credit reporting act violations possibly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption