What if my unlicensed 17 year old daughter got into a car accident hitting a pole, am I legally liable?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if my unlicensed 17 year old daughter got into a car accident hitting a pole, am I legally liable?

Received a ticket to appear in court.

Asked on August 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are not liable for the traffic ticket, in that it will not go on your personal driving record. However, as the parent of a minor, you will be responsible for paying her fines; your insurance will (presumably) up; and if there was damage to the pole, the pole's owner (e.g. a utility or the city) can sue for the money--the parent or legal guardian of an unemancipated minor is financially liable for her fines and the damage she does.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption