What if i was in the proximity of an accident but not part of it

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if i was in the proximity of an accident but not part of it

I was driving down a road with a speed
limit of 80km/h at 80km/h. And a bike
came speeding towards me. I went into
the slow lain just as he did about 20m
behind me. He started to swerve and
toppel head over heels with the bike
blazing in sparks accros the road. His
bike did not hit me so i kept on
driving. Am i liable for any damages?

Asked on May 5, 2017 under Accident Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are potentially liable (assuming he got your license plate or can otherwise identify you, and chooses to take legal action, such as suing) IF he can show by a "preponderance of the evidence" ("more likely than not") that you act of shifting into the slow lane and slowing down was both negligent (unreasonably careless) under the circumstances and caused his fall: he needs to be able to show both your fault and the causation of his accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption