What if I owe student loan money but I haven’t worked in over a year?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if I owe student loan money but I haven’t worked in over a year?

If I didn’t make any money and my husband claims me and our son. Can they take our tax refund even if my husband’s name isn’t on the loan?

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your student loan may be considered a marital debt but if you own joint back accounts, it makes no difference if you work or not, the student loan company can certainly begin the process of essentially freezing the account after obtaining a judgment against you or garnishing the bank account or in extreme situations, placing a lien on your home. You may wish to work or try to work with the student loan company by working on a small payment plan or showing why you have an extreme hardship. If you have not worked in over a year, have you been getting unemployment? Can you get a deferment or forebearance on your loan? Try anything you can to get some help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption