What happens if a tree falls on my house but it is on a railroad right-of-way?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a tree falls on my house but it is on a railroad right-of-way?

I live next to the railroad and there is a giant dying tree on their right of way. We asked for them to come cut it down, but they didnt want to pay for it. We have tried to hire a tree service to cut them but they can’t cut without a RR permit. The RR won’t issue the permit and is holding everything up. If this tree falls on our house, who is responsible for taking care of the damages? The RR company or us? Will our homeowner’s insurance pay for it, or make the RR pay for it?

Asked on August 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's not either/or for your homeowner's insurance or the railroad paying for it: you can put into a claim to homeowner's, which will generally result in the fastest, least stressful payment of the majority of the loss; you can sue the RR for the deductible; and your homeowner's can exercise its right of "subrogation" to recover what it pays you for the RR.
The key is, you have evidentally put the RR on notice that the tree is dying--hopefully, you did so in writing (sent some way that you can prove delivery), or if you have not yet notified them in writing (as opposed to only via phone), do so immediately. If someone has notice of a dangerous condition, like a dead or dying tree, but nonetheless fails to take action to mitigate, or reduce, the threat, that failure to act is negligent, or unreasonably careless, and makes them liable.
So if they are on notice, they are liable for any damage done. You can sue them for the whole amount of any loss or costs; or you can, as stated above, put in a claim to homeowner's, sue for your deductible, then let your insurer go after them for reimbursement. The advantage of putting in the claim--which, after all is why you pay for insurance, to cover damage to your home--is that it will get the repairs done much faster and with less stress; if you sue for the money, you may not get it for many months or even years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption