What if a judge does not like the separation agreement at the divorce court hearing?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if a judge does not like the separation agreement at the divorce court hearing?

This will be a joint petition in a no fault dvorce.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding your marital separation agreement.  Your concern is whether or not the judge will agree to your drafted separation agreement.  The answer is usually yes, as long as the judge does not feel as though the parties to the agreement do not understand the legal obligations and ramifications that come along with the terms of your agreement. 


 A marital separation agreement is a legally binding contract.  This can be compared to a divorce decree, which is also a legally binding contract.  The terms in your separation agreement can set the tone for what is expected of the parties during a divorce settlement negotiation.  For example, if a wife allows her husband to keep their motor vehicle, and the wife continues to make the car payments on the vehicle, after the couple is divorced, the judge may order for the wife to continue making car payments.  The terms of the marital separation agreement are as binding as the terms in a divorce decree.  If there are terms you would not have agreed upon in a divorce decree, then you should not agree to those terms in a separation agreement. 


You will want to be sure that all areas of your marriage have been covered within your separation agreement.  The factors to consider are child support, child custody, visitation rights, marital support (also known as alimony or palimony), and the distribution of all marital assets. 


If you have difficulties writing the terms of the agreement, you may find it helpful to contact a family law attorney in your area that can further assist you with the divorce process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption