What if a coworker lies about a medical condition you do not have.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if a coworker lies about a medical condition you do not have.

If a co-worker of mine went around telling anyone who will listen that I have PTSD, is there any legal recourse? Never had any issues or complaints, now I am getting pulled in for psych evals.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue that coworker for defamation. Defamation is making untrue factual statements or assertions about you--such as the claim that you have a condition or illness which you do not--which statement damages your reputation and/or causes you any monetary losses (e.g. if you lose wages from being suspended or terminated). If you wish to explore this option, consult with a personal injury attorney: the same lawyers who handle car accident and slip-and-fall cases tend to be the ones who handle defamation cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption