What i have to do if i been charge for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What i have to do if i been charge for shoplifting?

I have been charge for shoplifting
in walmart in Washington dc for
first time and i have to go to

Asked on December 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as yours in which you have no prior criminal record, the court may allow for a special probation called "diversion". This is an alternative sentencing tool that allows a person clear their criminal record upon its successful completion. The way it works is like this: you'll go to court and plead guilty to the charge; the judge will then issue a probation (typically community service, payment of the fine, resitution, etc); if the sentence is fully completed then your plea will be withdrawn and your case dismissed. In effect, the case is "diverted" out of the criminal justice system. Accordingly, you will be left with a clean criminal history record. However, at this point you may want to consult with a criminal law attorney. The fact is that diversion is only available to first-time offenders. So if your lawyer can get the charge dropped on a technicality or the like, diversion would still be available to you in the future should you ever need it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption