What happens when you lie on financial affidavit?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when you lie on financial affidavit?

My spouse only reported her full-time job on financial affidavit. She failed to include her home business and her part-time job that she may have quit right before she filed. In addition she had a childcare deduction but our daughter is not in daycare. What are the penalties?

Asked on May 29, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She could be held in contempt of court and/or liable for committing fraud on the court. There are no set penalties, as consequences are at the court's discretion, but can include fines, paying the other side's (i.e. your) legal fees incurred due to the fraud (e.g.  lawyer time wasted on the fraudulent affidavit and/or uncovering it), and having the court make certain findings adverse to her (e.g. rely on your evidence, not hers, since hers is suspect).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption