What happens when you are hit by a insured driver but have no insurance in Kentucky?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when you are hit by a insured driver but have no insurance in Kentucky?

My daughter was driving my car and was
ht by a insured vehicle but I had no
insurance at the time. Its my first time
receiving a ticket for no insurance.

Asked on August 16, 2019 under Accident Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since the other party was at fault, you can file a claim with their insurance company for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your vehicle.
In some states, if the party not at fault in the accident did not have insurance, the claim  is denied.
If your claim is denied, your recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your vehicle. The amount of your damages will determine whether you can file your lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. A monetary judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.
Since you did not mention it, I assume that your daughter was not injured in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption