What happens when you admit to filing a false police report? Do I need a lawyer? Am I facing jail time?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when you admit to filing a false police report? Do I need a lawyer? Am I facing jail time?

My boyfriend broke my windshield and I was mad so I filed charges against him. I lied about the situation and made it seem worst than it was because I was mad. Since then, we have resolved our issues and he has paid for the damages to my vehicle. I don’t want him to get charged with this but the only way to get him out of this is to admit my fabrication but I don’t want to face any charges.

Asked on April 20, 2009 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this senario happens all too often.  People forget that the legal system is about justice not payback.

What happens to you depends on your specific jurisdiction.  Technically you broke the law and are subject to criminal charges but as a practical matter you may just get a fine; possibly not even that.  However if the DA's office wants to play hardball and make an example of you they certainly can.  That being said, if I had to guess I would say that as long as you have an otherwise clean criminal record you won't be in much trouble.  Bottom line, there is no guaranty.  Your best bet is to talk to an attorney in your area, preferably one that's familar with the court in question.  He will have a good sense of just how they will probably handle things and can advise you accordingly.

Just do something quickly.  Your boyfriend is about to pay for something he didn't do.  And frankly, the more they work on the case the less inclined they will be to deal with you lightly.

If you need help finding a lawyer you can go to www.AttroneyPages.com for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption