What happens when a juvenile is arrested for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when a juvenile is arrested for shoplifting?

I’m 16 and I was not taken to jail. I was with my friends and we both did it.

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Jueveniles who are arrested and have criminal charges filed against them as the result of their arrest have to appear in a special segment of the criminal justice system called "juvenile court".

Depending upon the significance of the charges against the juveniles, they could be fined, put on probation or even sent to juvenile hall which is an offsite facility for minors which is similar to being incarcerated except the conditions are much nicer than jail and the minors attend school to keep up with their education.

Given the criminal charges against you resulting from your arrest for shoplifting, I recommend that you retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you in court.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption