What happens to my mother-in-law’s property when she dies?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to my mother-in-law’s property when she dies?

There are 2 daughters, my wife and her sister, who are the beneficiaries of my mother-in-law’s estate. There is $56,000 that is still owed on the property. My mother-in-law is in ill health and I want to know what happens to the estate when she passes away. I would love to buy it, either before or after she passes. There is about $50,000 in equity on the property now. I have poor credit.

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Estate Planning, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  So what you could do is to buy your sister in law out of the property by using other assets as a set off.  So say there is a bank account with $50,000 in it and your wife gets half, use the $25,000 as a set off against her portion of the house.  Her sister would take the bank account and she the house.  See how that goes?  But it is your wife's decision too here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption