What happens if you walk away from a funeral and the estate of a loved one?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if you walk away from a funeral and the estate of a loved one?

Does the state where the deceased lived take over? The deceased person has a reverse mortgage, a lot of bills and a home completely full of junk. I am out of the state and have no money or time to take care of things. There are no life insurance policies either.

Asked on November 22, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The bank will usually take the home as part of the reverse mortgage plan. It wouldn't go to beneficiaries. As for bills and the like, yes, if the individual has no assets, probate may not need to be opened and it would be up to the creditors to sue the estate or what is left of it. You are not mandated to deal with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption