what happens if you still something and get caught?do you go to jail or just pay the fine?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what happens if you still something and get caught?do you go to jail or just pay the fine?

Asked on April 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

What happens if you steal something? Well, depends on the value of how much you steal -- it can be a charge of a misdemeanor or felony. YOu will most likely have to pay a fine, some jail time and restitution depending the severity of the crime.

Have you been arrested? If so, contact a lawyer to review your case or have a public defender assigned to you.  Try www.attorneypages.com, the Washington state bar, or the public defender's office.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption