What happens if you get caught shopliftingbut you did not mean it?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if you get caught shopliftingbut you did not mean it?

I picked up sets of DVDs, worth $280. I got a text from some stranger and instead of putting down the items, I put 2 in my jacket pocket and 2 in a bag so that I could answer the text. I got mad at this dude because he was flipping out on me for no reason. I flipped out and forgot that I had the movies. As  Iwas walking out the door alarm went off and I turn around. I did not even leave the store. Before I could say anything, I got yelled at by a store member and told everyone that I would pay for it. I just got so upset that I never could not get my story out when the cops came.

Asked on December 14, 2010 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Since criminal charges are involved you should without question have legal counsel represent you on this.  A skilled attorney can might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or possibly at least get it reduced.  Also, since you are a first-time offender, a lawyer may also be able to arrange for "diversion" (or your state's equivalent).  This is an alternative program whereby you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon successful completion of the probation the charge is withdrawn and the case dismissed.  This will leave you with a clear criminal record.

At this point, you need to consult with a criminal law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption