What happens if the officer marks the wrong court appearance time ona ticket?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if the officer marks the wrong court appearance time ona ticket?

I was given a speeding ticket and the officer appears to have selected the wrong time for my “notice to appear”. He marked 8:30 PM instead of AM. I am pretty sure the correct time should be AM. Is this reason enough to have the ticket thrown out? What should I do? If I simply don’t show up for the court date and then produce the ticket with PM marked what will happen?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under General Practice, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, obviously you see an issue with the possible incorrect time for a traffic ticket appearance on the same day, "PM" versus "AM".

I suggest that you call the court clerk well in advance of the set hearing date for your traffic ticket to conform the date, time and court room for the hearing. Most likely the hearing date is in the morning versus being in the evening.

The incorrect 12 hour differential does not warrant the dismissal of your action. I suggest that you in any event show up at the hearing date stated in the ticket in the morning as opposed to the evening.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption