What happens if my move-out contract wasn’t dated?

UPDATED: May 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my move-out contract wasn’t dated?

My apartment complex didn’t date my move out notice. I moved out on 05/06 and was told to pay the prorated rate of $114. I forgot to change my automatic bill pay and still payed the full $570 for the month of May. The people in the front office said not to worry, I would get a refund. I called corporate today and they won’t refund my money because the move out notice wasn’t dated 30 days before the first of the month I was moving out in. It was put in their computer system as 04/05. Can I get the $456 back?

Asked on May 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well if the contract was not dated, I would argue the date they put the matter in the computer is the true date. If it is, you gave the landlord plenty of time (31 days). So at this point I would put your position in writing and contact the consumer protection agency in your state that handles landlord tenant matters. Further, I would if the first doesn't work, file the matter in landlord tenant or small claims court to obtain your refund plus court costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption