What happens if a plaintiff doesn’t show up in court for a divorce case?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a plaintiff doesn’t show up in court for a divorce case?

I’m going through a divorce and have court next friday. My ex filed the papers and we both agreed and want the divorce. She can’t make it to the court date and is plaintiff. What will happen? Will judge grant divorce anyway? Is there a form my ex can fill out and give to me asking judge to grant divorce?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, if you have an agreement for the divorce, you can walk it in prior to the hearing date (even if the date is set up) so that you can get divorced immediately. 

If your wife cannot be present at the divorce, she can ask the court for a continuance, explaining the reason she cannot be present.

Also, if someone does not show up for the divorce hearing, the court can enter a default against the person, and allow the divorce to proceed even if she is not present.  The judge would ask you if that was what you want and can enter the judgment of divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption